Dusty in Amsterdam

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Dusty in Amsterdam

Postby daydreamer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:20 am

This was recently posted to the Dusty Facebook page. It's in Dutch but you can translate from the button at the top. It doesn't translate that well but it is understandable and is worth the effort. There are also some wonderful new photos included [:D]

http://www.schift.nl/het-vergeten-amste ... ringfield/

Holland Knipsel-150x134.jpg
Holland Knipsel-150x134.jpg (8.33 KiB) Viewed 13186 times

Holland-boot-283x300.jpg
Holland-boot-283x300.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 13186 times

Holland-Pieter-02-223x300.jpg
Holland-Pieter-02-223x300.jpg (19.27 KiB) Viewed 13186 times
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Re: Dusty in Amsterdam

Postby daydreamer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:24 am

There is also a link to a filmed interview with Boudewijn Buch, which has been available before, but here we have it in wonderful quality. The main Dusty part begins after 21 minutes.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:27 am

And yet another piece, which has been posted in the past but is worth a re-post. Translated below.

http://www.de-gids.nl/artikel/144248

ROEL BENTZ VAN DEN BERG
Snow in Amsterdam

She would have been 74 today. Dusty Springfield. Therefore, and because you can not read enough Zaps are the Dusty Zap Roel Bentz van den Berg today from his Zapdansen.

H t was usually late when she called, damn late actually. At a time that you have absolutely no phone more expected and that - if your family is called there - almost always means bad news. Ghosts from the past, anonymous scheldkannonades supposedly wrong number or arrival urgently required. But how reserved or snappy (it's damn middle of the night!) I picked up at a moment when I heard that beautiful husky voice blossomed my ear within two add up to a powerful sunflower.

"Hi Roel, it's Dusty, is this a bad time?"

Hell no, on the contrary, a great time! Could not be better! Dusty time!

My girlfriend had met her in Amsterdam at a US mutual acquaintance, a former model in exile again Dusty knew from the time they were kept together in the driving of drink and drugs forgive maelstrom of mundane Los Angeles. It quickly became one for all and all for one with regard to their three and since then went regularly at night the phone with us and I cried when that happened, quickly, `I'll take it well." In the hope of course that it was Dusty and I, if only briefly - because they always asked directly to my girlfriend - could hear that voice. That voice!

That voice, that voice, that voice.

That of roses, rain and metallic tasting voice, I used - and used since then never left - always was speechless when I heard her get anywhere from a loudspeaker. Or no, that last only half true. The gripping and attractive that voice was precisely that they are not from that box could come. If that voice was a person - and that was it, of course - only strike the long arms of that voice through the gauze lining out and the rest remained trapped in the dark interior of the speaker. Come closer, beckoned the arms of that voice from behind the silver gray gauze, I've been so long you have to wait. Come on, grab my hand and pull me out, I need you.

This is always one of the characteristics of a 'killer voice ", the voice of thousands (think Elvis or Aretha or Sam Cooke or Sinatra): she is needy. That it gives voice to an equally urgent as indefinable longing that only when each individual listener finds its destination. At the same time the voices seldom go to extremes. They hold something back, something about - just enough to accommodate a second voice, yours. Your own voice that now, in the echo of that first voice themselves suddenly clearer than can ever understand. Something Like That.

He expresses not only a lack of, such a voice, but at the same time gives that lack the emotional value of a fulfillment. The promise that you by giving expression to your absence can make good that loss. It's a mystery, I know, but it is also dead simple if you think about it, and I do as long as I remember I can: think about voices singing - perhaps the most basic form of human expression, the first and often the last.

The singing voice as a vehicle and fingerprint of the soul. Through the voice, singing, you break out of the traffic jam of feelings you function block; be in the echo, as in a mirror, the contours of your true self, and sometimes, even better, also an answer to yourself.

The expressiveness of such voice gets stronger as the soul which he mouthpiece is within a larger bandwidth is often difficult to reconcile extends emotions together. Because that's a different side of the indefinite hunger in a `killer voice" - that they the valve is a mass of contradictions, or at least major uncertainties: sexual, psychological, cultural.

Male-female, black and white, world-religious, suppressed-ambitious, afraid defiant: the more getobt is the identity and how to be stronger compensated for all uncertainties associated with these worries, the better it is for the range of the voice, but especially in the width in the depth. That's what people mean when they Dusty Springfield say she was one of the few white singers with 'soul'. Come over there to the Mariah Carey and Celine Dions's of this world - singers who have just volume, technically perfect sound without any expression. The sterile art of trick where the 'general public' as love, precisely because the soul, the angel, that narrow depth lacking in it.

No, Dusty, whose voice and though it was a sting, angel and angel simultaneously hotline from soul to soul.

No lack of volume. Listen once again to the hurricane that comes down at the end of 'You Do not Have To Say You Love Me ", when a couple of times and towering glass breaking hard pulls with` Believe me, belie-ie-ive me. " An appropriate desperate lock of the kind supplication that was perhaps her emotional trademark. Wishin 'and hopin', 'I close my eyes and count to ten (I can not believe That you're still here)', 'You do not have to say you love me (just be close at hand)': all songs in which she says in love to take pleasure in a handout - which might even be preferable to the full amount.

One way or another I must thereby always think of the image that Socrates somewhere outlines of Eros as the personification of the driving force behind the love and the search for the soul. Nothing smiling cherub-on-pink cloud, but pale and unwashed, with sunken cheeks, dressed in rags, begging in a doorway, a ragged.

A charm message comes across loud and clear, especially because of the urgency, the destitution that Dusty grants with much heart and soul expression that you must feel it addressed personally. Not so much a possible lover shelf (with sex craving in her voice anyway little to do) but your listener shelf.

Please, do not go away, you do not love me, you do nothing at all; though you remain lying in the arms of another, if you keep listening. Because only as long as I heard, I exist. The moment you stop listening, falters my voice in my throat and I suffocate and die and I'm gone. So let that voice inside, hold her, that voice, and cradle her in your ear.

After she moved back to England with the Pet Shop Boys to pull her stranded career back on track, Dusty has only a few times and then phoned the day when I was not home. Still, I'm still a long late night with a certain eagerness keep recording the phone, in the hope that they would be for the hundredth time to ask where was that again now that was nightshop who had almost all tastes Whiskas in stock.

And I imagine her still, Dusty, even though I can see with my own eyes in 1999 how in Henley-on-Thames as Snow White in a glass hearse was driven to her cremation: at three o'clock at night in the backseat of a taxi in the center of Amsterdam, her face half hidden under the helmet of hair blonde hair, next to a large plastic bag full of cans Whiskas, forever on the way to the cats at home.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks Carole, lovely clarity. :thumbsup:
the Petula look was not a fav look for me, she was still hiding from the cruel world under that look, i think.
sometimes when i see her like this it makes me really sad. [:(]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby pat.dunham » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm thick, can anyone help me re translation , unable to find it?

BTW in the vid it is not the end after W&H, skip to 36" Dusty talks about her voice and WHIDTDT with PSB.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby donellac » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Thank you so much for posting this Carole!

This is amazing. It gives lots more information from Pieter van Der Zwan than we have heard before.

It is a shame that the article promotes Karen Bartlett's book. She gave little further insight to the Amsterdam years than were contained in Dancing with Demons. The writer of this piece is clearly not familiar with DWD.

I have not been able to find a translate button on the article either. I have made a rough translation by copying the text and pasting it into a Dutch English translation tool. The translation this gives is very difficult to understand, and doesn't give a proper account of what the writer is trying to say.

I have also been unable to run the video but maybe that is to do with my computer.

All in all though it is a fascinating read. :star:
Donella x

Yesterday when I was young the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue!
donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby karen » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks for this Carole , yes a lot clearer re the interview .. [:)]

And surely Pat and Donella you can click on the translate on your computer re this ?hope so .. :thumbsup:
Last edited by karen on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karen
I only want to be with you
I only want to be with you

Postby daydreamer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:45 pm

When I came across the article earlier, there was a button on the top right that let me translate.....that now seems to have disappeared! The Snow White article was also in Dutch but I translated and copied that. I obviously should have done the same with the first one. She does look a bit like Petula in these photos but I think she looks lovely and relaxed in company that she enjoys. This is the Google translation.....

It's just after ten o'clock as Dusty Springfield with a cigarette and a diet coke at the door at her house owner. She is nervous and does not know what to expect from the evening. An hour ago, she canceled, and lied that she had a headache. Now she is still after him into the living room, where Miep Gies and her husband waiting. The owner of the property has well prepared, he laid out two videotapes: one with the movie The Attic: The Hiding of Anne Frank - Mary Steenburgen as Miep Gies - and the registration of Dusty's concert at the Royal Albert Hall. It is not long before Dusty settles on the floor near the chair where Miep Gies sits, and together they look at the screen on which unfold both of their lives.

It is a surreal scene. The undeniably best English soul singer of the last century and the opposition woman who saved the diary of Anne Frank, spend a pleasant evening with each other in an Amsterdam canal house in 1989. I would not conceived, and certainly not have believed it if I had not just the book Dusty - An Intimate Portrait of a Musical Legend had read the biography journalist Karen Bartlett (The Times, the Guardian) published recently. I knew Nina Simone in Nijmegen and had lived in Amsterdam during the same late eighties, I knew Marvin Gaye at the beginning of that decade had sought refuge in Ostend, but Dusty Springfield lived a year in Amsterdam was new to me .

Bartlett spends not a lot of words to it. She writes that the year in the Netherlands the singer offered the space and anonymity to process its recent past and to decide what they wanted to do in the future. The picture she paints is that of a chain-smoking woman with two cats peering over the canals of Amsterdam and rainy all the while listening to Tchaikovsky. She goes to the owner of the apartment on the Herengracht, whom Dusty previously befriended Pieter van der Zwan.

To learn more of this unknown Amsterdam time of Dusty Springfield I seek contact with him. From presents his winter home in Spain he that he sends me the first epistle that he wrote about his friendship with the singer, and that he previously sent to Bartlett. "If you still have questions, let me know." Although it is a well written piece is that sometimes in great detail describing the encounters with Dusty, loom also new questions. The following story is based both on Van der Zwans piece, as his answers to my questions.

Dusty Springfield in the Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam (1966).

Restoration architect and interior designer, Pieter van der Zwan Herengracht 125 bought in the spring of 1987 with his then partner, TV producer Edwin Prince. The property, which was in poor condition, was built around 1635 for Frans Banning Cook, the captain of the shooter vendel of Kloveniersdoelen that was immortalized by Rembrandt's Nightwatch. Van der Zwan and his partner were renovating the property and erected five apartments. She herself involved with the apartment courtyard. A penthouse on the Nieuwezijdsvoorburgwal they rented to Nancy Fox-Martin, a New York friend who for some time lived in Amsterdam and had been as a model for Harry Winston.

"One Herengracht 125avond we were drinking something with Nancy when the phone rang. When she hung up the phone she was talking not about first, but after an hour they asked us "? Have you ever heard of Dusty Springfield 'Nancy was a huge jazz fan, pop music was unfamiliar to her. She had me might as well ask if I had ever heard of the Queen of England. Dusty had called her for an introductory conversation. If you are a regular visitor of AA meetings and are traveling then you can order temptations to suppress, addresses get AAs in the city that can help you in a conversation you to change your mind. In this case, it was Nancy Fox-Martin, born Verkuyl. Nancy, a widow, the daughter of Dutch parents had, already before her birth moved to New York. "

"Nancy and Dusty became friends, their sense of humor corresponded well. I think Dusty incidentally also felt a bit intimidated by Nancy, which to an even sharper and camp-esque sense of humor than she had. Beyond that it was not, it was certainly no affair. Not long after I invited Nancy to come and eat, and proposed to take Dusty. The first sign of their arrival was a toy animal that moved to the window over the frame from left to right. Dusty had shopped and the two women were in a happy mood. The presence of our two cats helped to further break the ice, it was immediately obvious that Dusty was a big cat lover. In the period that followed we saw each other about once a week. "

Achterhuis

Dusty lived a stone's throw away, in an apartment that overlooked the annexe of The Secret. Stood in between the two houses, the white horse chestnut which Anne Frank wrote in her diary, and on which another two decades later legal battle would be delivered, not long before the tree in a sturdy storm would blow over eventually. Although the house - "it must have been Keizersgracht 192 or 194 '- nicely furnished had something depressing, Van der Zwan recalls. "Part of the fun of living in the canal is that you can look out over the water. But she could not be here, her apartment was at the back. However, they had access to a garden, something she found her attractive to cats. "

It is up to the same two cats named Nicholas and Malaysia, to thank Dusty Springfield in late 1988 moved to Amsterdam. Marvin Gaye week to Ostend to kick the habit and to work in peace on a comeback, Nina Simone came in Nijmegen regain your strength after a turbulent time but Dusty Springfield had a much more prosaic reason to Los Angeles in exchange for Amsterdam. She wanted to return to England, but to settle in Amsterdam they dodged the strict British import rules for pets. The cats did so half a year in quarantine and from Amsterdam was only one hour flight to London.

Dusty has not lived in the apartment at the Secret Annex. When a bunch of tenants departed stated on Herengracht Nancy that Dusty would involve the release apartment. In mid-February 1989, she arrived with the cats and five or six heavy suitcases. Van der Zwan: "Although she could get along with Edwin, she found it especially nice to see that I continued the same strange schedule as they. I got up late and did not go for three or four hours at night to bed. "Peter, you and I are not civilians," she once told me. From the courtyard, I could see if she was still awake. From that moment, the contact was regular. Sometimes I had her four or five times a day on the phone, about everyday things. She went behave increasingly relaxed. I suspect it going to make that her career had begun. Sometimes I went upstairs for coffee, sometimes they came to visit us down, we often hung on the phone. "

Dusty Springfield and Pieter van der Zwan in Amsterdam, 1989.Door frequent contact were the conversations between Van der Zwan and Dusty soon a domestic character. "If you constantly with each other depends on the phone, it does not take long before the conversation is about having a cat puked on the stairs or something. That does not mean that we also talked about mutual friends, family, the psyche in general and our own in particular. Music we spoke only to the extent that interested me. Recording and valances in the studio, the fact that she was so grateful and happy with the support that offered all sorts colleagues. Michael Jackson had called her once. When she heard that voice through the phone - "Hi, Dusty '- they had first thought it was a friend who lashed a joke. I do remember that I asked her why she no longer occurred. A combination of stage fright, actually fear for fans, and the fear of being an artist with only old repertoire. Her manager Vicky Wickham once told me that she could book Dusty every day if she would go in the chic nightclub circuit. At the mere thought shuddered Dusty. 'Vicky wants to sell me off, "she said literally."

Dinners were complicated. Had a significant part of the uneasiness, Van der Zwan thinks to do with the fact that Dusty not wanted to drink. "Because she was determined that alcohol would not ruin her life again, she tried to avoid situations where others drank. Partly in order not to be tempted, but also because people who drink dull companion for anyone who wants to stay sober. She always said that her attention span was shorter since she had stopped drinking. She always took her own cigarettes and a bottle of Diet Coke. "

uncertainty

Who knows which reads Karen Bartletts Dusty turbulent time prior there to Amsterdam. The book tells the story of Mary O'Brien 'Dusty' is, in England in the pre-Beatles era successes booked with the folk trio The Springfields and then becomes totally captivated by soul music. Bartlett describes beautifully how Dusty Springfield on an evening out of the speakers of The Colony Music Store in Times Square Tell Him The Exciters hears and knows that I want. A few years later she hears on the radio with Dionne Warwick Do not Make Me Over and what she feels, there on the edge of her bed in a hotel room, jealousy, because there is already someone doing what they want to do. And how!

That uncertainty, partly reinforced by the realization that they unlike her black heroines have not grown up in a gospel choir, continues her throughout her career plague. Compensates amply by successfully plugging the Motown Stable in England and himself to become a big star with a long string of hit singles, even on the other side of the Atlantic.

But as Aretha Franklin "her" Son of a Preacher Man record, one of the songs that Dusty scored a big hit, they'll agree: as it should! So I had to do it! On live recordings you can hear that from this moment on the intonation of Aretha. She herself ventures, during radio sessions, sometimes the songs that have made her heroines large (I Say a Little Prayer, Natural Woman, Reflections) and although leaves the sound poor quality of the retrieved recordings you can hear it very well those versions certainly not inferior to the originals. Sailliant detail that the biography unmentioned late: songwriters Ashford & Simpson left the classic Is not No Mountain High Enough first hear Dusty, but withdrew their offer back when they realized that song sometimes their entrance at Motown could be. It was indeed their golden egg.

Dusty in 1968 to the studio in Memphis soul departs to start the recordings for the album that would become its undisputed masterpiece (Dusty in Memphis), she becomes totally panicked. There she is, then, among all those seasoned soul musicians, on the spot where Aretha Franklin and Wilson Pickett inzongen their greatest successes. She is totally not used to working live with such a large group of musicians in the studio, and put it on a flight. Atlantic boss Jerry Wexler decides his method for a time to adjust, he takes the rhythm and horn section and backing vocals by The Sweet Inspirations in Memphis and travels Dusty with the tapes chase to New York, where she still adds her vocals. Dusty in Memphis is therefore recognized for an important part in New York.

At the time, hardly a commercial success, it's a record that more than 45 years after publication is still stunning. Dusty Springfield knows no equal. She had, unlike many of its admired soul sisters in their gospel-soaked vocals, a lofty voice that commands devotion. Silky and intoxicating, melancholy and dedicated. Even in the most cheerful song there is always that tragic underlay that as wonderful as it is elusive. She is the mother superior of the British soul congregation that a lifetime would compete with her sisters overseas, but without them now it realizes itself represents an unrivaled and unattainable ideal.

Who reads Karen Bartletts Dusty makes after its heyday in the sixties the seemingly inevitable and painful decline of the singer with. Plagued as it is by demons from the past - a relatively loveless childhood in a strict Catholic environment - and especially by the never-ending struggle with concealing her homosexuality, ogling the bottle of vodka, pills and self-mutilation gradually seventies more and more. Her relationships with women are repeatedly and often end in violence. After a series of suicide attempts, they shall contain a time in a psychiatric clinic. It's only mid-eighties, thanks to the hit What Have I Done To Deserve This (with The Pet Shop Boys) Dusty Springfield gets the feeling that her life back a little on getting the track. In Los Angeles she attends AA meetings, something she stops working in Amsterdam. But the recovery is still fragile in Amsterdam. It was only recently that in America convened its money gleaned by miming her old hits.

Van der Zwan: "I know it's due a popular vision is its psychological problems to her homosexuality and I believe absolutely nothing. Who struggle with coming out will probably not have done it, but I think there is something quite different to rise. I think that has tormented, passionate and intemperate always been there. She has done against me sometimes statements about the bad relationship in her youth with her parents, or at least how she thought about when she was twenty, thirty. We had many similarities in our background, like a mother with unfulfilled dreams. She told how extensively been difficult she was as a child. Because I use the word 'tantrum' did not know they did one for them. She screamed, screamed and clung to the radiator pipes to burn themselves. Addiction and self-mutilation were then only in the extension. That her homosexuality there maybe a little extra done, I would quite believe it, but I think they are especially someone who continued to rumble on with all those spiritual and perhaps even neurological disorders without tinkered quite a moment there was to medication and a good therapist. "

Cauliflower and vanilla ice cream

Dusty Springfield makes a canal canal in Amsterdam with director Cyril Frankel and his friend Steve Nelson. Photo: Pieter van der Zwan.Voor far as Van der Zwan know, Dusty was in her Amsterdam few years away from home. Going out they did not. However, she received regular English friends, including Pat Barnett, whose 16-year-old son led them around the red light district, and Madeline Bell, the singer with whom she had lived in the sixties.

"The small group around Dusty, who saw them as a family, were very loyal," Van der Zwan says. "Now, years after her death, the group is still equally tight. With her manager Vicky and her partner Nona Hendryx I also always contact. With singer Simon Bell was at that time also in regular contact, partly because they sometimes asked him to look after the cats. "

Van der Zwan remembers how shy Dusty could be in the company of strangers. At one point she let him see a recording of a performance in which the audience after her, trying to touch. "The security had not been vigilant enough. Something scared her immensely. "For the London premiere of Scandal, the film on the case of Christine Keeler for which she recorded the title song, was also invited Van der Zwan. He remembers that she logged off at the last moment under the guise of a flu.

Yet he organized several times a dinner with guest which he also invited Dusty. Miep and Jan Gies he asked her to come along because she was interested in the history of the Frank family. In another dinner at Van der Zwan and Prince was Büch guest, the writer with whom Prince as a producer working on his travel programs and for whom Van der Zwan designed a vast private library. 'Baldwin wanted to make a program about three singers of the sixties: Dusty, Sandie Shaw and Mariska Veres Shocking Blue. I wanted to make a long dinner so they really had the time to get to know each other. Just when I was ready to prepare a five-course menu, Dusty switch with two Tupperware containers with cauliflower and vanilla ice cream. That was one of her famous diets that time. After that dinner we agreed to limit the future but to coffee and tea times. Incidentally, it took well that night, with us to the five courses and Dusty on a plate with cauliflower and ice. The interview took place a few weeks later. "

In the night hours offered the phone outcome. In his beautiful tale Snow White in Amsterdam, included in the bundle Zapdansen, Roel Bentz van den Berg writes that Dusty sometimes in the middle of the night after his girlfriend called her at home Nancy had met and befriended. If that happened, he took quickly. "Of course, in the hope that it was Dusty and I, if only briefly - because they always asked directly to my girlfriend - could hear that voice. That voice! That voice, that voice, that voice. "

Really love the city they did not go. Pieter van der Zwan: "In the US they had grown accustomed to nocturnal shopping in large stores. You could step on your driveway in your car and in front of the store exit. Amsterdam closed the shops at six o'clock their doors and street parking was virtually excluded. When she found a night shop, she took a taxi to go there sometimes. I have been with you at once. In my memory he sat near Da Costakade, but it was not pretty in the Clercqstraat. Actually, it was just a kind of large local supermarket, but they had the cat, Dusty preferred. Everything they did together Amsterdam beautiful but very uncomfortable. "

Not long after her fiftieth birthday, which Van der Zwan and Dusty toast with a diet coke, she finds a home in England. Not far from the spot where the cats would go still in quarantine. In late August 1989, Prince, Van der Zwan and Dusty a farewell drink in the courtyard. "She was emotional. In the weeks that followed, we had lots of phone contact. She was tense, she found that England had changed. "

In the fall she will stay a few days at Prince and Van der Zwan in Amsterdam and in the following years continues Van der Zwan keep in touch with her. He repeatedly flies to England to see her and they have regular contact over the phone. During one of these conversations she tells him that there is diagnosed with cancer, a disease which Van der Zwan meantime his partner Prince lost.

Dusty Springfield takes in the twilight of her life, a number of plates and dies in 1999, 59 years young, the consequences of breast cancer. At the funeral, he visits with his new partner, Pieter van der Zwan is pleased that she had lived the last years of her life in a beautiful location, overlooking greenery and sheep in the pasture.

And cats, to whom the year in Amsterdam was actually doing? Malaysia was not long after Dusty in England had returned to the door hit by a car. Nicholas survived Dusty. She did everything for him regularly, they had committed that he would remain in the meter-high tree house with scratching post that she had bought in the Netherlands for him. She also had a "marriage" with a cat for him arranged, as she called it himself. And so it happened. Nicholas 'married' with the five-year-old Russian Blue Purrdie her friend Lee Everett-Alkin, with whom he lived the rest of his life.

Dusty An Intimate Portrait of a Musical Legend Karen Bartlett appeared at The Robson Press.

© Schift, December 2014
Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite TranslatorGlobal Market Finder
Turn off instant translationAbout Google TranslateMobileCommunityPrivacyHelpSend feedback

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby donellac » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Okay Karen, I thought I was being totally thick!

I have just done a bit of digging and found that the translate function is not easily accessible on Firefox. I have opened the article in Google Chrome and now translated it.

It is still, as Carole says, a fairly difficult read. But fascinating!
Donella x

Yesterday when I was young the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue!
donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby darren2722 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:57 pm

That's brilliant Carole. :thumbsup: Loving the colour. [8D] Thanks also for the translation. [yahoo]
I Couldn't Ask For More
darren2722
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Corinna » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Oh! That was a lovely new bit of information! Thanks for that, Carole! :yes:
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat.dunham » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks Carole for articles very interesting.Tried Chrome and fine- however thanks the English transcript as well..
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cas19 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:00 pm

A good find Carole, great pics, thank you.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby trek007 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:28 pm

Nice new pictures.

Plus the article
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cecelia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Carole-this is wonderful. Especially the pictures. It is so nice to see piccies of Dusty other then the professional ones. Though, I love those too, there is something about seeing her having lived her life just like the rest of us in shots like these. Not to mention, I always have a weak spot for Dusty in blue......
Cecelia
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby dig123 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Thanks for posting this story/pics Carole. Dusty looks great! I'm not a big fan of the 80's look but I actually like Dusty's hair in these pics. It looks very soft and healthy. Enjoyed the article too. Great info!

Di
dig123
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:33 am

donellac wrote:Thank you so much for posting this Carole!

This is amazing. It gives lots more information from Pieter van Der Zwan than we have heard before.

It is a shame that the article promotes Karen Bartlett's book. She gave little further insight to the Amsterdam years than were contained in Dancing with Demons. The writer of this piece is clearly not familiar with DWD.
:

If you were the writer, would YOU want to be familiar with that slop?!!?
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Return to Don't Forget About Me